Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Manawa Mobile Park

It is yet another beautiful Saturday in Spring and I am off to explore Manawa again.  This time, I head North to check out the trailer park I had seen the other week.  After my run last time along the trail, I decided to do some research regarding the demographics of Manawa as I had not yet done so thus far.  My first stop was City Hall which was on the way to the trailer park.  As the clerk is only there for a few hours in the morning on Saturday, I need to get off to an early start today if I am going to make it before they close!

I spoke with Cheryl, the city clerk, who has been a lifelong resident of Manawa.  We spoke about the town, it’s history, and she showed me the census data that was last taken in 2010.  This basically showed me the same thing that I was able to look up online.  The demographics of Manawa are about what I had expected.  Over 96% of the residents are white, leaving less than 4% for all over minorities put together.  The second largest group noted was Hispanic coming in at 2%. 

In discussion with Cheryl, I learned that she expects the 2020 census to show a rise in the minority population.  Since 2010, the Hispanic population has grown significantly.  She attributed that to perhaps the increased demand for work at one of the local manufacturing companies.  Being a small rural community, perhaps the population is directly related to the success or failure of the local manufacturing company.  I set off to explore and learn more.

Set behind the local diner, the Walnut Grove Mobile Home Park is home to some 50 or so lots, of about which I would say 25% is currently not occupied.  As I walked through the neighborhood, I found that something very different about the neighborhood than the rest of town.  Here was a park of mobile homes, most of which were in some stage of disrepair.  But although the homes appeared to be neglected, I often found in the driveways vehicles that were new and very well taken care of.  I wondered why the odd disconnect?

As I continued to walk and look at the homes, I noticed that residents were starting to come outside and enjoy the nice early afternoon weather.  I was surprised to find that many of the residents I came across were not white, but Hispanic.  Is it possible that most of the minority population congregated to the same place in town?  Why is it that the homes are in disrepair yet their vehicles are so well cared for? 


Unfortunately, I have been walking for some time and need to return home, so these questions will have to wait for another Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment